This photo book and the described narrative were retrieved from the Army Corps of Engineers Virtual Museum http://www.ww2armycbs.org maintained by Scott Saewert and others to honor the work of these soldier-engineers.
The 1st Battalion of the 353d Army Corps of Engineers Service Regiment was on the ground to build Camp White's Combat Village March 1 through March 20, 1943. Combat Village, known locally as German Village was constructed as a training ground for U.S. soldiers who would be deployed to the German front during World War II. According to Corporal Robert Maack, "The combat village was constructed as a permanent installation to the Camp White Range Group for the purpose of training troops in the various phases of street fighting house clearing and other combat problems encountered in active warfare."
Maack notes that Combat Village was located "7.5 miles north of Camp White Cantonment area on the Beagle Range between Table Rock and Hill 1330." No structures remain in this location today.
The narrative attached to the photo book, View of Combat Village, is excerpted from an history of the 353 Engineers Service Regiment as recorded
by Robert Sedgewick Maack (b. September 27, 1918, d. April 22, 2015), a
Corporal with Battery “C” 114th F.A. 31st Division. Much
of the narrative not excerpted here notes team sports competition results, and
the names, ranks and dates of those assigned to the division. The full history
is found http://www.ww2armycbs.org/docs/hst353_01.html
as of January 2021.
This work was compiled for the City of Eagle Point with the help in part of the Jackson County Cultural Coalition and the Oregon Division of the Association of College and Research Libraries.